Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Big Decisions Coming Up!

With the summer in full swing, our work has dwindled into small, individual projects. For example, take today: we had a brief interview with a JTA reporter for an upcoming article, then we worked on creating a promotional video for YESOD, then I met with one of the Hillel staff members to talk about fundraising strategies for the summer. We're hosting another Shabbat dinner this Friday night, which is always fun and enjoyable.

What is quite important to us is our future, which we are diligently working on. I've found a series of great opportunities to continue my work in the Jewish world. From a foundation in San Francisco, to the Federation in Cleveland, to returning to DC, it seems like there is no limit to the interesting, meaningful opportunities out there in the Jewish world. It's also exciting because one of my motivations for this whole adventure was to have a Jewish experience that really sets my resume apart from my peers; that goal seems to have come to fruition! In fact, the security guards here must think I am absolutely crazy--I've been coming in late at night during Russian holidays, when I am the only person in the whole building, so I can interview via our Vonage phone! While I know that the decision of which job to take will be one of the momentous decisions of my entire life, I also know that I can't really go wrong. I'm doing the best research I can, talking to as many people as will speak with me, and searching my tail off. In the end, I have to leap ahead, follow my heart, and never look back. I am fortunate to have a wonderful wife like Alyson, who is incredibly supportive and understanding, without being overbearing or apathetic.

In the meantime, I've also put together a few photo albums that I wanted to share with you!
A new Torah is welcomed to St. Petersburg.

Shaarei Shalom Dedication - we've written volumes about how much we love the Reform community here, and its departing Rabbi, Michael Farbman. That's why we were elated to participate in the dedication of their new space, which has a larger sanctuary, a youth wing, a kosher kitchen, and more. The service was both meaningful and moving, as the congregation welcomed a delegation from its sister synagogue in West London, who brought with them a new Torah for the new space. The sanctuary may look a little bit like a space ship right now, with its aluminum-clad interior, but we can only hope that the community will take off like a rocket in the years to come!

The Ubiquitous Russian Mullet - a collage honoring the most popular Russian hairstyle. An homage, if you will.

The Palaces of Petersburg - Check out the ridiculous, over-the-top, gratuitous wealt of some of the palaces we've visited.

Summertime in SPB - A trip to our favorite palace, Peterhof, which is the Russian version of Versailles.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you might want to take a look at this blog as well. http://jamilton.typepad.com/leonardturnevicius/2006/09/white_nights_fe.html

wpd

7/04/2007 03:40:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Peterhof. you are right to concentrate on the fountains, but there were some fine floors in the initials set of rooms one sees at peterhof.

for an inside, you should visit orientbaum or whatever it is maybe 12 miles past peterhof. we could not get there, but the chinese interior museum is suppose to be first class. this was the creation we think of peter's must trusted advisor with name approximiately of menshikov. chances are you saw his house in st. petersburg wpd

7/04/2007 03:44:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home